Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ilya Kovalchuk to be Suspended? Think Again

Eric over at the FanHouse brought up a game of "Guess the Suspension" which, with Colin Campbell as disciplinarian, is always a crapshoot.

However I think this one has an easy answer. Zero.

The league has always gone a little soft on suspensions for star players and I can't see this one being any different.

Fortunately for Kovalchuk, you could spot Roszival glance over his shoulder and see Kovalchuk coming. That might be all Campbell needs to say "Players need to protect themselves better" and then hope it all goes away.

Remember the Ovechkin hit on Briere? Not only was he not suspended, Campbell didn't even give him any sort of verbal reprimand.

If that's not a double-standard, I don't know what is.

UPDATE: Shortly after publishing this, Kukla put up a link to the official announcement of a one-game suspension. I bet that'll teach him a lesson.

Notable quote from Kovalchuk:
“I just tried to finish my check, and he kind of turned right before I tried to hit him,” he said.

Dude, we've got it on video. Roszival had his back turned the whole time.

Related Links
Kovalchuk Hits Roszival Video

No comments: