Friday, September 28, 2007

Downie Suspended for 20 Games

The league has handed down a 20-game suspension to Steve Downie following his hit on Ottawa's Dean McAmmond. It's a lengthy suspension compared to similar incidents but it appears the NHL is ready to finally start sending a message. That message being: you will be punished. No longer is the message: We frown on this.

And it's about time as I'm sick and tired of seeing players carted off the ice on stretchers. I know a lot of people, mostly Flyers fans, are calling it an overreaction. However that's comparing it to previous suspensions like Prongers elbows. Unfortunately, there will always be a double standard when it comes to punishments. However, there will also always be a time where the punishments need to be re-evaluated to ensure it's a useful punishment.

This is one of those times.

Duhatschek: NHL Gets it Exactly Right
Mirtle: "[It's] long overdue"
Two For Elbowing: "Good for them"

3 comments:

Sig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sig said...

Shocker you are from Canada... possibly French Canadian. Would you happen to be a Sens fan???

Where were you when Neil cheap shotted Drury last year? Did he deserve 20?

Shane Giroux said...

Thanks for deleting the "you stink" comment, I agree it was pretty immature.

My great-grandparents are from France but I'm a born and bred Canadian who knows very little French. Not proud of that last fact as I wish I did know more of the language.

And yes, Neil absolutely deserved that. There were many suspensions I felt were too lenient but I hadn't started this site at that point.

And finally, I'm not a Sens fan. I don't cheer for any Canadien team actually.

Now go relax and have a beer.